All the flavors we love about Mexican food come together in this party I hosted at home a couple of days ago. It was a major hit. And it all came together in 2 hrs with an hours prep! Not bad!
5-6 medium tomatoes chopped
1 medium onion chopped
5-6 green chilies
juice of 1 lemon
half a bunch of coriander chopped
salt and black pepper
3 Tbsp olive oil
Chop the tomatoes, onion, chilies and coriander. Add salt, pepper and lemon juice Put it all in a blender and blend till its slightly chunky about a minute. Taste and adjust accordingly. Pour it all in a pan and drizzle olive oil. Bring to a boil and let it simmer for 5 mins. Taste! it should be able to sting and the tomatoes should feel the olive oil flavor.
sweet corn salsa
1 cup sweet corns
1 small tomato chopped
3-4 chopped green chilies
3-4 Tbsp coriander chopped
salt and pepper
juice of 1 small lemon
Just toss everything together in a bowl. Mix. Taste. Adjust. let the flavors sit and blend for a while. Enjoy!
3-4 green chilies of your choice
Chop chilies in big rounds. In a saucepan add chilies and enough vinegar to submerge them. Bring them to a boil and simmer for 5-10 mins or until you see the chilies loose their color into slightly translucent green. cool them and store them in a jar with the remaining vinegar.
Fish chunks from 2 fillets of white frozen fish
Lemon juice 1 Tbsp
2 Tbsp Taco seasoning
1. toss fish chunks with taco seasoning and lemon juice. You can marinate the fish if you want for two hours. mine turned out beautiful without it as well. Drizzle some olive oil in a pan and stir fry the fish. Till cooked through.
2. warm tortillas as per directions. assemble with layer fish chunks. top with salsa, lettuce, cheese as desired. Enjoy!
2 cups rice
I medium onion chopped
2 small tomatoes chopped
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 Tbsp garlic paste
Salt and pepper
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
3 Tbsp Olive Oil
1. soak rice in water as per direction.
2. Saute onion in a pan with olive oil. Add garlic paste cook till fragrant. Add tomatoes and tomato paste. When the tomatoes are cooked about 10 mins
3. About 2 1/2 cups chicken stock according to absorption method. Bring it to a boil. Add rice. And cook them on a medium flame.
4. When the stock has dried and the rice are cooked drop a few tsps of yellow food color and cover with a tight lid to sit them in the steam.
5. remove after 10 mins.
Serve with santa fe chicken and salsa
LAYERED MEXICAN SALAD
chopped tomato, onion, green chilies salsa
1. Layer all the ingredients in a salad bowl in the same order from top to bottom.
Boneless chicken julienne 1/2 kg
orange juice 2 Tbsp
oregano 1 Tsp
paprika 1 tsp
1 julienne capsicum
1 julienne onion
1 julienne tomato
1. Marinate chicken with salt, black pepper, orange juice, oregano and paprika for 2 hours or more.
2. place capsicum, onion, tomato and chicken in a baking dish and bake covered on 180 for 30 mins or until chicken is done.
2 large potatoes
1. Wash the potatoes and slit them thinly without slicing through to the end.
2. Rub each slice with salt nicely and drizzle generously with olive oil.
3. Bake in the oven on 180 C for about 2 hours or till its done.
Top with slices of mozzarella, cheese sauce and thin green onion.
SLOW COOKER SANTA FE CHICKEN
Boneless chicken 1/2 kg cut in thin strips
chicken stock 2 cups
tomato paste 1/2 cup
chopped tomato 1
sweet corns 1/2 cup
black bean 1/4 cup
1. Place all the ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 4 hrs.
Dorritos or Nachos
black olives/ green onion/lettuce/ Jalapenos
1. Layer a dish or a platter with nachos. Place a bowl of salsa in the middle. Top nachos with a couple of dollops of salsa and sour cream. Toss some black olives and some jalapenos as well.
POTATO BALLS WITH SOUR CREAM
4 boiled potatoes
1. Mash potatoes with a dash of salt and pepper. Adjust to taste.
2. Roll potatoes into balls or patties.
3. Beat an egg. Dip potato patties in the egg and shallow fry in a pan of olive oil.
4. Take them off the heat once both sides turn golden brown. Turning occasionally.
5. Top with a dollop of sour cream mixed with chopped green onion or herb of your choice.
Photo credits: me
Recipes by: me