For the mothers day that went past couple of days ago we went for a simple picnic posted here! complete with fresh flowers and naked chocolate cake with strawberries and whipped cream and ofcourse our fav bread accompaniment GUACAMOLE!!!
I love guacamole for the simplicity of the recipe and the healthy amount it adds to our meals! my mom is not very keen on guacamole! she finds the avocado bit bland.. So this time I kicked it up a bit with a generous amount of crushed chillie flakes! and oh boy was it good!!! it was unbelieveable!!
Ofcourse the base of this guacamole is good ripe avocado (or two if you prefer) and the rest of the ingredients are pretty basic too. Just some salt, lemon juice and corriander! The one additional tip that I will give to my fellow guacamole loving people is: to mix the salt with the lemon juice. That way you will distribute the salt evenly and not in the chunks of it!
ripe avocado 1
salt to taste
corriander 1/4 of a bunch
and for the heat of course
red chilies flakes
- Peel and core the avocado and roughly mash it with a spoon into some chunks.
- squeeze lemon juice in a cup and mix in the salt.
- Chop the corriander leaves and add them to the mashed avocados as well.
- Pour over the salted lemon juice.
- Sprinkle with a generous dash of red chillie flakes and give it all a good stir.
- Scoop it with some nachos or with a piece of bread.
- And Enjoy!!
Have a lovely weekend!!!!
Mothers are such humble easy to please souls. I am not a huge fan of fancy gift shopping. I am more of a time and effort investment person. So instead of running around the block for the perfect pair of rose gold ear rings or those pricey gadgets or rose ceramics I chose to spend time with her in a nice old fashioned picnic!!!
I cannot count how fun it was to sit back on the easy grass again and enjoy the simple delights of life! 🙂 🙂 of course we had flowers and of course we packed some yum snacks. But the mere presence in nature had this amazing spring breezy vibe to it. Which made it sooooo much more remarkable!
Planning a perfect picnic is not stressful at all. you just need to know what you need. Here is my recipe for a perfect mothers day picnic:
- Flowers: yes ofcourse you will be surrounded with nature but there is something so sweet and so feminine about a fresh bouquet to have on hand and to give it to your mom that is sure to bring smiles to her face. Esp if you make the little ones present it to her! sure to melt her heart 🙂
2. Pretty napkins and blanket: Yes a jute mat will do. Its not like we wont have any place to sit. But to have a nice bright spring arrangement is just too pretty to ignore. Plus it adds the special going out of your way to please mom effect to the whole picnic which is what we want right.
3. Fresh Fruits: no picnic is comeplete without some grapes and a handful of strawberries to munch on. And it is definitely not an exception for a mothers day treat. Make sure to pack some zesty fruits to entice your taste buds
4. Guacamole and good whole wheat bread: I am a sucker for good bread. I looooooove bread in every form and this paired with some too easy to whip up guacamole is just amazing. Its a truly humble but soaring taste buds recipe!
5. Sandwiches: one of the best picnic food. Easy to assemble easy to carry and filling. so ofcourse v had sandwiches for lunch. I chose the simple egg sandwich with some hot sauce for heat. Tip: use your moms secret ingredient to upgrade them. Mine was ofcourse heat. and she loved it!!!
Chocolate cake: Who can resist a good chunky chocolate cake. Esp with soft whipeed cream and strawberroes and chocolate ganache
6. Pack proper cutlery: This adds refinement which a mother always appreciates in a daughter!
Happy mothers day to all moms out there! coz we know exxxxxactly what it takes to be one! 🙂 ❤ ❤
Today’s recipe is a simple but ooooo soo pretty and sooooo goooood coleslaw.
For a last minute lunch preparation I was running short of ideas. Rushing down the grocery isles I caught a glimpse of a purple beauty! I bought it on impulse. Came home caught sight of pineapples and cucumbers. hmmm that could work!!!
In it all went the chopper. Alongwith some walnuts and raisins. I held on to some of them to top on the salad later.
A couple of whizzes a dash of salt, some sugar, some black pepper and mayonnaise. And voila!!
the sweet and tangy crunchy coleslaw was the perfect ooomph for the hastily put together lunch!!!
Purple cabbage coleslaw
Purple cabbage abt 1 cup
pineapple slices canned 3-4
Mayonnaise 1/4 cup
salt 1/4 tsp
black pepper 1/4 tsp
sugar 1 tsp
- In a chopper add the cabbage cucumbers and pineapple slices. Some walnuts and raisins as well. Reserve a few for topping.
- Whiz till its chopped down to the desired level.
- Take it in a bowl, and directly add the mayonnaise salt pepper and sugar to the salad.
- Toss and adjust according to taste
I prefer it chilled. Its fantastic after a couple of hours in the fridge. The flavors marry each other beautifully. And its very refreshing. But its really sweet and crunchy as it is as well!!